When was the last time you cleaned your smoking accessories?
If you can’t remember when or simply don’t know how, then that probably means there’s bacteria, mould, and fungus throwing a huge party in your bong, vape, or pipe right now.
But before you start dipping your smoking accessories into a chemical solution to get rid of the residue (don’t do that), we’ll show you how to clean your tools so they’ll be kept spick and span the natural way.
How to Clean a Bong With Household Items
The best ways to clean a bong won’t break the bank—they won’t even require you to step out of the house! In fact, you’ll be happy to learn that all you need is a few items from your pantry.
Vinegar and Rock Salt
When has white vinegar ever not been a solution to your cleaning needs? Many deem it as the best way to clean a bong—and here’s how:
- Mix white vinegar with rock salt and some hot water.
- Pour the mixture directly into the bong.
- Cover the openings of the device with rubber caps. If you don’t have any rubber caps, you can just stuff the openings with paper towels.
- Shake your bong to dislodge any gunk stuck to the inner surface.
- Continue until you no longer see any dirt on the inside.
- Rinse the device with hot water to get rid of any mixture residue.
Rubbing Alcohol and Rock Salt
Grab that bottle of isopropyl rubbing alcohol (99% if you can find it, otherwise 70% works fine!) that’s been sitting in storage and some rock salt from your kitchen. These two agents will work together to show you just why you never have to wonder how to clean a bong with household items again.
- Detach the downstem and bowl from the bong.
- Place the two detached pieces in a clean ziplock bag filled halfway with rubbing alcohol and set it aside.
- Pour a quarter cup of rubbing alcohol and a quarter cup of rock salt into the bong.
- Cover the holes of your smoking device.
- Give the bong a nice shake.
- When all the buildup has been removed, rinse the bong, downstem, and bowl with hot water.
- You’re now ready to start enjoying your Amsterdam Sativa from it again!
Baking Soda and Vinegar
Another common environmentally friendly product to clean with, baking soda is obviously on our list of best ways to clean a bong.
- Place the bowl and downstem in a ziplock bag filled halfway with hot water, a teaspoon of baking soda, and a teaspoon of vinegar.
- Shake the bag well and let it sit until you see the gunk come off.
- Pour warm water into the bong.
- Add a teaspoon of baking soda and a teaspoon of vinegar.
- Cover the holes of the bong and shake well.
- Once all the residue is gone, rinse the bong and the components in the ziplock bag with warm water.
How to Clean a Pipe
Prefer using a pipe for your smoking sessions? These handheld devices are known for getting clogged up with resin, which can negatively impact the flavour of your bud. Here’s how to clean a pipe using natural ingredients:
Baking Soda and Vinegar
- Use a pipe cleaner to remove any resin that may be stuck inside.
- Pour warm water into a clean container.
- Add a tablespoon of white vinegar and a tablespoon of baking soda.
- Submerge the pipe in the mixture and allow it to sit for a few minutes.
- Once you’ve seen that the buildup has started melting away, remove your pipe from the container.
- Rinse the pipe well with warm water.
How to Clean a Dry Herb Vape
Your vape needs just as much TLC as your bong and pipe do. While you should really follow your manufacturer’s instructions on maintenance, here are some basics you might find helpful when it comes to cleaning:
Cleaning the Herb Chamber
- This is best done post-session when the oven is still warm and any residue is soft and pliable; just empty out the remaining herb and run a cleaning brush around the oven.
- If you forget to do step one, don’t stress — just get a cleaning brush with firm bristles and brush it around the oven and mouthpiece to break up and clear any loose debris.
- Then, wipe down the herb chamber with a cotton swab that has been dipped in isopropyl alcohol.
- Wait for it to dry completely before covering it up or using it again.
Cleaning the Mouthpiece/Vapour Path
- Don’t neglect the mouthpiece — keeping it clean on both the inside and outside prevents buildup which could cause draw resistance.
- For the outside of the mouthpiece, wipe it down with warm water or isopropyl alcohol; for the inside, use a cleaning brush to scrub down the inner surface. For a more thorough clean, use a cotton swab that has been dipped in isopropyl alcohol to wipe down the inner surface.
- Alternatively, if it’s made of glass, you can submerge the entire mouthpiece in a bowl filled with isopropyl alcohol for an hour or two.
- Any other type of mouthpiece will need to be removed from the vape and forcefully blown into to remove any debris. For a more thorough clean, use the same method as for a glass mouthpiece, however, you may need a toothpick or a pick tool instead of a cotton swab if it’s too narrow.
Choose Good Organic Weed
Now that your bong, pipe, and vape have gone through a natural cleanse, it’s time to treat yourself to some organic weed that’s bursting with flavour!